OS Updates is a powerful feature that Jamf Now users can leverage to make sure that devices in their ecosystem are running the latest versions of iOS and macOS.
The following tutorial will walk you through a few different workflows for OS Updates:
- Updating a single device
- Updating a group of devices
- Updating all devices with pending updates
Before we begin, you will need to do a brief preflight check to make sure your Jamf Now environment is ready for OS Updates management:
- Verify that iOS and macOS devices in your environment meet the minimum specs laid out below:
- macOS 10.11.5 or greater, must be DEP enrolled
- iOS 9.0.0 or greater, must be DEP enrolled
- Make sure that the devices you want to update are:
- Plugged in (or fully charged)
*Please note: OS Updates will not appear in your Jamf Now environment unless you meet the above criteria. Please verify that you have the required operating system versions and DEP enrollment before proceeding.
Update a single device
Now that you have verified that your environment meets the above preflight criteria and is ready to leverage OS Updates, follow the steps below to walk through the OS Updates functionality.
1. Find eligible devices
Jamf Now uses a small red dot to indicate that a device needs your attention. With the advent of OS Updates, the needs attention dot will trigger if a device has pending updates to its OS.
2. Verify the pending updates
Once you've located a device showing the "needs attention" dot, click on it to see its device dashboard.
Scroll down and locate the "Operating System" tile. That tile displays the current version of iOS or macOS that the device is running. If the device is eligible for an OS update(s), a small icon will appear on the bottom of the tile indicating how many pending updates are available.
3. Install the update(s)
When you click on the update icon at the bottom of the Operating Systems tile, a new information panel will slide into view to give you further detail on the update(s) you're about to perform.
*Please note that some updates do require a system restart. If that is the case, the information window will indicate that installing the update(s) will require restarting the device.
To install the udpate(s), click the green "Install Update" button.
4. Monitor progress
When you kick off the update(s), the information panel will disappear and you will return to the device dashboard. While the update runs, the Operating System tile will display information about the update's progress. Possible alerts include:
- Update in progress / waiting to complete installation: The device is in the process of completing the update command.
- Update failed: The requested update failed to complete. The failure could be due to insufficient disk space on the device or insufficient battery. The failed update(s) will become available for reinstallation the next time the device inventories with Jamf Now.
- Update complete: In most successful installations, this message will not display. If it does, it is to confirm that the installation completed successfully.
Update a group of devices
- On the main device dashboard, click on the search icon and use the filter options to select a group of devices.
- Next, click the ellipsis ("...") in the upper right corner of your screen, then click "Install Updates."
- The updates information panel will open and display devices within your filtered group that have available updates.
- Click the green "Install Updates" button and update installation will begin.
Update all eligible devices
We lovingly refer to this option as the "easy button." If you have available operating system updates across a swath of devices in your ecosystem, consider using this option to initiate all available updates.
- From the main device dashboard, click the ellipsis ("...") in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Click "Install Updates" and the information panel will appear and display all devices with available updates.
- Click the green "Install Updates" button to initiate updates on those devices.