OS Updates is a powerful feature that Jamf Now users can leverage to ensure devices in their ecosystem have the latest versions of iOS and macOS.
The following tutorial will walk you through a few different workflows for OS Updates:
- Updating a single device
- Updating a group of devices
- Updating all devices with pending updates
Before we begin, you will need to do a brief preflight check to ensure your Jamf Now environment is ready for OS Updates management:
- Verify that the devices in your environment meet the minimum requirements below:
- macOS 10.11.5 or later, or iOS 9.0.0 or later
- enrolled via automated MDM enrollment
- Ensure the devices you want to update are:
- Plugged in (or fully charged)
Updating a Single Device
1. Find eligible devices
Jamf Now uses a small red dot to indicate that a device needs your attention. This dot will trigger if a device has pending updates to its operating system.
2. Verify pending updates
Once you have located a device containing the "needs attention" dot, click on the device to see its device dashboard.
Locate the Operating System card. This card displays the device's current operating system. If the device is eligible for an OS update, a small icon will appear on the bottom of the card indicating how many pending updates are available.
3. Install updates
When you click on the update icon at the bottom of the Operating System card, a new information panel will slide into view to give you further detail on the updates you are about to perform.
Note: Some updates require a system restart. If a system restart is needed, it will be indicated on the information panel.
To install the udpates, click Install Update.
4. Monitor progress
After you click Install Update, the information panel will disappear and you will return to the device dashboard. While the update runs, the Operating System card will display information about the update's progress. Possible alerts include:
- Update in progress / waiting to complete installation: The device is in the process of completing the update command.
- Update failed: The requested update failed to complete. The failure could be due to insufficient disk space on the device or insufficient battery. The failed updates will become available for reinstallation the next time the device inventories with Jamf Now.
- Update complete: In most successful installations, this message will not display. If it does, it is to confirm that the installation completed successfully.
Update a Group of Devices
- On the main device dashboard, click the search icon and use the filter options to select a group of devices.
- Click the more menu (...) in the upper right-hand corner of your screen, and then click Install Updates.
The updates information panel will open and display devices within your filtered group that have available updates.
- Click Install Updates to begin update installation.
Update All Eligible Devices
We lovingly refer to this option as the "easy button". If you have available operating system updates across a swath of devices in your ecosystem, consider using this option to initiate all available updates.
- From the main device dashboard, click the more menu (...) in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
- Click Install Updates and the information panel will appear and display all devices with available updates.
The updates information panel will open and display all devices with available updates.
- Click Install Updates to initiate updates on those devices.