Supervision is a mode that allows a Mobile Device Management solution to control additional functions on an iOS device. This feature is intended for institutionally-owned devices.
The best way to utilize Supervision is to enroll devices with Apple's Device Enrollment Program (DEP). Any devices that enroll into Jamf Now via DEP are Supervised over the air. Contact your local Apple Business Team to determine if your existing company-owned devices can be added to the Device Enrollment Program.
If you have devices that are not eligible for inclusion in the Device Enrollment Program, there is a second way to Supervise iOS devices. Apple Configurator 2 is a free app on the Mac App Store (View in Mac App Store).
|Note: Any time you enable Supervision on an iOS device, the device will be erased.|
How to Supervise an iOS Device with Apple Configurator v2.5 and above:
- Connect your iOS device to a Mac and launch Apple Configurator 2
- From the "Action" menu at the top of your screen, select "Prepare"
- Select "Manual" configuration
- While the Device Enrollment Program enrolls devices into Jamf Now, you will select "Do not enroll in MDM" for this manual process
- Now you can check the box to Supervise your iOS device
- You can enter organization information to display details about the institution that owns this device
- Unless you have previously worked with Supervision Identities, you will simply "Generate a new supervision identity" to complete this process
- You have the option to skip steps in the Setup Assistant
- Click "Prepare" to erase the device and reboot as a Supervised device
- You can now use Open Enrollment to enroll devices into Jamf Now and take advantage of the additional features that require Supervision.