Supervision is a mode that allows a Mobile Device Management solution to control additional functions on an iOS device. This feature is intended for institutionally-owned devices.
The best way to utilize supervision is to enroll devices via the Apple deployment program. Any devices that enroll into Jamf Now via automated MDM enrollment through the Apple deployment program are supervised over the air. Contact your local Apple Business Team to determine if your existing company-owned devices can be added to an Apple deployment program.
If you have devices that are not eligible for inclusion in your Apple deployment program, you can supervise iOS devices via Apple Configurator 2, a free app in the Mac App Store (View in Mac App Store).
Important: Any time you enable supervision on an iOS device, the device will be erased.
How to Supervise an iOS Device with Apple Configurator 2.5 or later:
- Connect your iOS device to a computer, and launch Apple Configurator 2.
- From the Actions pop-up menu at the top of your screen, select Prepare.
- Select Manual from the Configuration pop-up menu.
- While the Apple deployment program enrolls devices into Jamf Now, you will select Do not enroll in MDM for this manual process.
- Select the Supervise devices checkbox for your iOS device.
- Enter organization information to display details about the institution that owns this device.
- Unless you have previously worked with supervision identities, click Generate a new supervision identity to complete this process.
- (Optional) Select the steps you want to skip in the Setup Assistant.
- Click Prepare to erase the device and reboot as a supervised device.
- You can now use Open Enrollment to enroll devices into Jamf Now and take advantage of the additional features that require supervision.