The Apple Push Notifications service (APNs) certificate allows you to create a trusted relationship between your devices, Apple, and Jamf Now, and is an important step in setting up your Jamf Now account.
APNs certificates must be renewed annually. The following guide is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to renew your APNs certificate and keep your Jamf Now account in good working order.
Remember: the APNs certificate is required to manage devices with MDM. Feel free to renew your certificate at any time before it expires.
Before beginning this tutorial, you'll want to verify that:
- Your Jamf Now account is in normal working order.
- You have an existing APNs Certificate that is ready for renewal.
If both of those items are true, you're ready to renew your APNs certificate by following the tutorial below.
Please note: During renewal, you will need to use the same Apple ID that you used to generate your original APNs certificate. If you cannot remember your Apple ID, please refer to this article
Tutorial: Renewing your certificate
*For a tutorial about renewing your APNs certificate on a Windows computer, click here.
1. Begin by clicking APNs in the left-hand navigation menu
Your existing APNs certificate will be displayed on this page. If you previously saved your Apple ID when setting up APNs, your Apple ID will also be displayed here.
2. Click Renew Push Certificate
This will begin an easy four-step process for renewing your certificate.
3. Click Download Certificate Signing Request
This .plist file type is a unique file that you'll need to provide to Apple in the following step in order to renew your certificate. Click Next to proceed.
4. Click Open the Apple Push Certificates Portal
A new window will open and you will be asked to reauthenticate with the Apple ID and password that you used to originally generate the APNs certificate in question. After logging in, you will see a list of every certificate you have previously generated with this account.
- If you can't remember which certificate you should renew for this particular account, the serial number and expiration date are listed on Step 2 of the APNs setup process in Jamf Now. Find that information and cross reference it with the information on the APNs portal.
- Click Renew next to the appropriate certificate, enter notes as needed, then click Choose File to upload the Signing Request that you downloaded from Jamf Now a moment ago. Finally, click Upload.
- If the upload is successful, you will see a confirmation message with a green check mark. Click Download to grab a copy of your newly minted APNs certificate and head back to Jamf Now to complete setup. Click Next.
5. Upload your new APNs certificate
Either drag-and-drop your file into the dotted box or click Browse to find the new certificate on your computer. Can't find the new file? Check your downloads folder in case it defaulted there. Click Next.
6. Finally, consider saving your Apple ID
This final step is optional but we highly recommend taking advantage of the ability to save your Apple ID in Jamf Now if you don't use this particular Apple ID very often. It can save you a lot of headache down then road when it comes time to renew again.
Congratulations! Your APNs certificate is now renewed and is valid for another 12 months.
Have lingering questions or need additional assistance? Feel free to get in touch by clicking on the link to chat with our support team in the lower-right corner of the screen.