Typically, devices are enrolled into Jamf Now via automated MDM enrollment during the Setup Assistant. If a computer was not enrolled during setup, you can retroactively update the enrollment by following this workflow.
Benefits of automated MDM enrollment include:
- Access to macOS updates via Jamf Now
- Non-removable management profiles
To enroll a computer via automated MDM enrollment, the computer must be:
- macOS 10.13 or later
- enrolled in an Apple deployment program
To check if a computer is enrolled in a deployment program, navigate to Auto-Enrollment > View Devices. If Jamf Now recognizes the device as enrolled in an Apple deployment program, serial numbers for the device will be displayed.
Note: The View Devices button only displays after the Auto-Enrollment pane has been configured in Jamf Now.
- logged in to the local account you plan to manage
Automated MDM Enrollment Workflow
1. Open the Terminal app for the desired computer and enter the following command:
sudo profiles renew -type enrollment
2. Enter the password for the local account.
3. Click Details on the Device Enrollment window that appears in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
4. Follow the prompts to install the necessary profiles.
When the enrollment process is complete, profiles will display on the computer under System Preferences > Profiles. The Jamf Enrollment profile will not be removable due to the device being enrolled via automated MDM enrollment.